SORRY, WE ARE NOT CURRENTLY ACCEPTING SUBMISSIONS. JOIN THE EMAIL LIST BELOW TO FIND OUT WHEN WE’RE ACCEPTING SUBMISSIONS FOR 2014.
We are open to all styles of art, photography and design. You can submit art created digitally, provide us with a photo of your work, or give us an original piece to scan (no larger than 8.5”x11”).
It’s free to submit and we only accept one submission per artist. If you send two or more, we’ll email you to ask which one. We usually receive about 100-150 submissions for our shows and only choose 50. If you’re one of the 50 artists chosen, you’ll receive 20 copies of your trading card for free!
- Your file should be 2.75″x3.75″ total. It will be trimmed by the printer to the standard trading card size of 2.5″x3.5″ so keep the main focus of your art within that area. If your submission is white in the quarter inch outside the main image area of 2.5″x3.5″ and you don’t want a white border, fill that space up. Your image should extend to the edge of the file to allow for variances in trimming at the printer. If you want a white border, you don’t need to include the bleed area. Still don’t understand? Email email@example.com to clarify.
- minimum 300 dpi @ 100%
- if you’ve done it the correct size (2.75″x3.75″ @ 300 dpi), it will be 825×1125 pixels
- CMYK (full colour; no Pantones or spot colour)
- psd and ai files are preferred but pretty much any file format can be submitted
- if your art includes a font, be sure to “flatten” any fonts in Photoshop or “outline” fonts in Illustrator
- if you submit an Illustrator file, make sure any “placed” items are embedded, not linked
- use your name as the file name (eg, Jane_Doe.psd)
- do not include any crop markers, registration marks, etc.
- email files up to 10mb; we’ll confirm receipt within 72 hours. If you don’t hear from us, try again.
Info to include in the body of your email (for the back of the card):
- YOUR NAME
- your website
- “Title” of your art
- a very brief artist statement (20 words max)
- your city
- your education
- media of the art (eg, mixed media on canvas)
- date of work
- anything else you might want to include
- NOTE: Your stats may be edited for length, grammar, spelling, etc.
I’m sad, I didn’t get in the show.
Don’t take it personally, it’s all about the fun times at the event. Try again next year and don’t worry about it. It may also be because you don’t live here in Vancouver. While we do choose a few submission from out of town, we try to keep stick to mostly-local artists. But don’t let that keep you from submitting.
A note on copyright
All submitted artwork must be original and free of copyright restrictions (ie, you must be the original creator of the work and willing to let us reproduce your artwork as necessary). You still hold the copyright but by submitting artwork to CARDED, you are giving us the right to use your art for publicity, display, and sale as a trading card. Publicity includes this website and in current and future promotional materials (flyers, books, etc). Keep in mind, flyers are produced in limited edition – once they’re sold out, they’re gone forever, so you don’t have to worry about us reproducing your art and selling it online 5 years from now. Email us if you have any copyright concerns.
The Mailing List
When you submit art to the show, we also add you to our email list. Why? So you’ll receive announcement emails about future CARDED shows or our button show Hot One Inch Action, plus artist calls and updates for Chris Bentzen’s Hot Art Wet City Gallery. If you don’t want to hear from us, just select “unsubscribe” from the bottom of the first email you receive… although we hope you stay on the list. We DO NOT share or sell our list.